Friday 22 April 2016

ACP calls upon physicians to combat health problems associated with climate change

ACP calls upon physicians to combat health problems associated with climate change

The changing climate is one of the most important environmental concerns today. Climate change directly affects five components of the environment: water, air, weather, oceans, and ecosystems And, through changes in the environment such as heat waves, droughts, storms, worsening air quality, floods etc. it also adversely affects human health.

With rise in temperatures, vector-borne diseases such as dengue are increasing in number making them more difficult and challenging to control. What is more, climate change may potentially spread the disease to areas that are currently not endemic for the disease.

The relationship between climate and human health has for long been a much studied topic. A report published in April 2010 by National Institute of Environmental Health Science, USA “A Human Health Perspective on Climate Change a Report Outlining the Research Needs on the Human Health Effects of Climate Change” categorized health consequences of climate change into:

·           Asthma, respiratory allergies, and airway diseases
·           Cancer
·           Cardiovascular disease and Stroke
·           Foodborne diseases and nutrition
·           Heat-related morbidity and mortality
·           Human developmental effects
·           Mental health and stress-related disorders
·           Neurological diseases and disorders
·           Vectorborne and zoonotic diseases
·           Waterborne diseases
·           Weather-related morbidity and mortality

In a position paper published online April 19 in the Annals of Internal Medicine, the American College of Physicians (ACP) has focused on the consequences of climate change on human health including more respiratory and heat-related illness, vector-borne diseases, waterborne diseases, food and water insecurity, malnutrition, behavioral health problems.

ACP has called for urgent "aggressive, concerted" action to fight climate change to counter the “devastating” health consequences.

The position paper emphasizes the crucial role that physicians can play in tackling them by educating themselves, their patients, community, policy makers about the adverse health effects of climate change and also support efforts to alleviate them. The ACP also recommends that medical schools and continuing medical education (CME) providers include climate change-related coursework in their syllabus.

4 comments:

  1. I was hepatitis B carrier, and I found it out 3 years ago when I need some medical test for applying for a job. It scares me a lot, and I have been so hopeless since I heard it, I feel like I'm an outcast and different from others. I cry all night, I can't think properly, I'm so down. Even my doctor advised that I cannot transmit the virus using same utensils, saliva, etc., except if I have sexual intercourse. I'm still sick, no one in my family has this disease. And I don't know where I got it. I have taken blood tests many times and my liver is okay, and I never feel pain in my body, but I can't sleep well every night since I have known my situation.I came on the internet to see if I will be able to get any Information as to curing this disease, on my search i saw various testimony about (MED LAB) who cure Hepatitis and all manners of diseases,i contact them, and I got Hepatitis b medicine, after the period of days given to me by the MED LAB, i was completely cure, CONTACT THEM IF YOU ARE diagnosed OF HEPATITIS B VIRUS or any other sickness, email. medlab36@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was having Herpes Simplex Virus then i came across a review of people saying that they got treated from Herpes Simplex Virus by Dr VOODOO., So i gave a try by contacting him through his email and explain my problem to him. He send natural medicine herbs to me and told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take the medicine, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken by any deadly diseases like HERPES HIV, shingles,low sperm count or bringing back your ex lover, this great man is extremely the best in which I have seen if you also need a help, you can also email him at voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete